[Rubygems-developers] Problems with dependency command

Eric Hodel drbrain at segment7.net
Tue Jun 17 04:20:16 EDT 2008

On Jun 16, 2008, at 19:12 PM, Chad Woolley wrote:

> trunk is looking good, but found some strangeness with the
> 'dependency' command.
>
> First, though, a question: How should the '--remote' and '--source
> XXX' options interact, in general?  Does --source without --remote
> imply --remote?  It seems like this behaves differently for the
> dependency command vs. the list command, but I may be confused.  In
> prior versions, it seems like --remote was always required, and
> --source would have no effect if remote was not there.  Is this still
> the case?

Currently --source does not imply --remote, and I don't believe it
ever did.

However, --both (local and remote) is the default unless overridden,
which it is for at least query, list, search and dep.

If you supply --source, you'll need to --remote for at least these
commands.

> Anyway, here is the reproducible bug with dependency.  It shows a
> successful remote list with trunk, then a dependency command failure
> with trunk, then the same dependency command successful with 1.1.1.
> Thanks...
>
> chadmac:rubygems woolley$ rm -rf ~/.gem; ruby -I ./lib:./bin ./bin/gem
> --backtrace dependency ruby-doom --remote
> ERROR:  While executing gem ... (Gem::RemoteFetcher::FetchError)
>    bad response Not Found 404
> (http://gems.rubyforge.org/quick/Marshal.4.8/ruby-doom-0.8.0.gemspec.rz
> )

Fixed in r1773, but will need Tom to update the indexer code before it
will work for you.