[Rubygems-developers] gem weirdness

Eric Hodel drbrain at segment7.net
Mon Jun 9 13:03:09 EDT 2008

On Jun 9, 2008, at 03:41 AM, Ruben Fonseca wrote:
> I have a project at rubyforge called tarpipe (tarpipe.rubyforge.org).
> It's already at version 0.1.1.
> However, I found today that when I do on any machine "sudo gem install
> tarpipe" it installs a gem version 0.0.1 that *is not even my code*!
> It's a different project by a different author!
> So I have two questions:
> - How is this possible?

Since tarpipe-0.0.1 is not in your files list, it was probably added
to the index manually by Tom Copeland.  If a gem was added manually,
gems with a name collision won't be added to prevent people from doing
malicious stuff.

> - What can I do to correct this situation!

Put tarpipe-0.0.1 in your downloads list (optional) and have Tom (tom at infoether.com
) remove tarpipe-0.0.1 that was manually added.