[Rubygems-developers] SourceInfoCache gone, etc. (Was: Problems with trunk ...)

Eric Hodel drbrain at segment7.net
Mon Jun 9 12:36:21 EDT 2008

On Jun 8, 2008, at 11:34 AM, Chad Woolley wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 8, 2008 at 12:58 AM, Eric Hodel <drbrain at segment7.net>
> wrote:
>> The new bulk-index-free API is in rubygems/spec_fetcher.rb
>> (Gem::SpecFetcher).
> OK, I'd like to clarify a few things about the latest version:
> 1. Should ANY [local] queries via the API should go through
> spec_fetcher.rb?

No, they still use Gem.source_index.  See

> 2. Should there be any reason to directly use SourceIndex anymore, or
> should it be considered private?

Gem::SourceIndex is ok to use, but Gem::SourceInfoCache and
Gem::SourceInfoCacheEntry will be going away eventually (probably in 2
years or so).

> 3. Should all this work the same for the on-the-fly servers (quick
> index is the right term?) as well as servers with generated
> specs.4.8.gz/latest_specs.4.8.gz?

Both `gem server` and `gem generate_index` now produce specs.4.8.gz
and latest_specs.4.8.gz, and they also produce all the legacy
indexes.  If there's a server without the new indexes all the sources
should drop back to using the legacy indexes (and print out a warning).