[Rubygems-developers] gem weirdness

Jim Weirich jim.weirich at gmail.com
Mon Jun 9 08:59:03 EDT 2008

On Jun 9, 2008, at 4:41 AM, Ruben Fonseca wrote:
> I have a project at rubyforge called tarpipe (tarpipe.rubyforge.org).
> It's already at version 0.1.1.
> However, I found today that when I do on any machine "sudo gem install
> tarpipe" it installs a gem version 0.0.1 that *is not even my code*!
> It's a different project by a different author!
> So I have two questions:
> - How is this possible?
> - What can I do to correct this situation!

I see the author of verion 0.0.1 is listed as a co-owner of the
tarpipe project.  I see the 0.1.1 gem listed in the files area, but no
0.0.1 version.  Did you or he release version 0.0.1 from a different
project?  Once a gem is released, you must upload new versions to the
same project name (this protects you from someone else releasing a gem
with the same name and overriding yours).  If this is the case, then
you just need to file a support ticket with RubyForge to get that

-- Jim Weirich
-- jim.weirich at gmail.com