[Rubygems-developers] HEADSUP RubyGems 1.2 Real Soon Now

Chad Woolley thewoolleyman at gmail.com
Wed Jun 4 16:31:07 EDT 2008

On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 12:19 PM, Ryan Davis <ryand-ruby at zenspider.com> wrote:
> Biggest use-case, or only use-case? I suspect it is the latter and as such
> think that adding it is more confusing than leaving it out. It is incredibly
> hard to explain (this thread is evidence) and I can easily imagine it being
> misused more than it helps.

Agreed.  Are there any other use cases?  Plus, I already mentioned a
workaround in an earlier thread - just have Passenger ensure correct
gem installation at application runtime.  Use GemInstaller, or do it
manually (steal simpler config.gems/rake gem installation code from
Rails).  This is a bit more painful with edge cases (e.g. handling
root-owned gem repos), but these are addressable (see my buglist for
GemInstaller).  In any case, not worth special handling in the gem
spec spec, IMO

-- Chad