[Rubygems-developers] HEADSUP RubyGems 1.2 Real Soon Now

Ryan Davis ryand-ruby at zenspider.com
Wed Jun 4 15:19:07 EDT 2008

On Jun 3, 2008, at 18:17 , Donavan Pantke wrote:

> The :install flag is required for gems that have specific loading
> requirements, and so cannot have dependencies automatically
> activated. The
> biggest use case is Passenger, which can activate multiple versions
> of Rails.
> It originally required rails in the gemspec (as it needs some
> version of
> Rails), but that meant that when the passenger gem activated, rails
> automatically activated as well. That caused passenger to blow up
> when trying
> to activate a different version of Rails. Having the :install flag
> will allow
> Passenger to be loaded but let Passenger worry about Rails.

Biggest use-case, or only use-case? I suspect it is the latter and as
such think that adding it is more confusing than leaving it out. It is
incredibly hard to explain (this thread is evidence) and I can easily
imagine it being misused more than it helps.

Passenger is very very edge-case to most ruby projects out there. Eric
is doing a damn good job of stripping out a ton of cruft from rubygems
and making things a lot more clear, both internally and for users. I'd
like to see some real need for a feature before it goes into rubygems.