[Rubygems-developers] HEADSUP RubyGems 1.2 Real Soon Now

Eric Hodel drbrain at segment7.net
Wed Jun 4 14:23:47 EDT 2008

On Jun 4, 2008, at 10:03 AM, Jeremy Kemper wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 3:15 AM, Eric Hodel <drbrain at segment7.net>
> wrote:
>>> I would like the opposite to be the default.
>> I would love to make --format-executable the default, but that will
>> cause
>> too much confusion and will inconvenience the majority too much.
>> (Maybe I
>> shouldn't have made it default for setup.rb/gem update --system,
>> but the two
>> new rubygems/defaults files may help improve that situation.)
> The naming changes only when that person has changed his ruby's naming
> also, so it feels natural.
> The majority have a vanilla ruby so they'll see no change or
> confusion.

apt-packaged ruby installs as ruby1.8, FreeBSD ports ruby installs as
ruby18, and both provide a link from ruby to the correct name.  From
the setup.rb change, I believe a majority of the other packaging
systems install ruby this way.  Not as many people build ruby by hand.

If you want to make --format-executable the default for you, ~/.gemrc
allows you to make it so.