[Rubygems-developers] HEADSUP RubyGems 1.2 Real Soon Now

Vladimir Sizikov vsizikov at gmail.com
Wed Jun 4 13:54:19 EDT 2008

Hi James,

On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 7:41 PM, James Tucker <jftucker at gmail.com> wrote:

>> The naming changes only when that person has changed his ruby's naming
>> also, so it feels natural.
>>
>> The majority have a vanilla ruby so they'll see no change or confusion.
>

> The problem is expectation. People run `ruby foo.rb` and it works, so they
> expect `gem ...` to work too. Distros pack in a link which is what fools
> people into thinking they're getting it without the suffix.

Indeed, not to mention the alternative implementations (that are seem
to be multiplying: JRuby, Rubinius, IronRuby, etc, etc).

And, as usual, different users expect different things with naming.

In JRuby lang, it seems, the common consensus is to stick with
standard names though.

> My solution to this problem is also to keep implementations seperate, and in
> that regard, continually having to add extensions to the commands i use
> daily, and really mostly messing with tab completion speed, is a must not.
> As it is, on most of our platforms I re-link gem to gem1(\.)?8 as
> appropriate.

JRuby's standard solution is to use -S switch: jruby -S gem, jruby -S
rake, jruby -S spec, etc. That way, you can *guarantee* that the
proper JRuby version is used (the one you specified explicitly, of
from the PATH).

Thanks,
  --Vladimir