[Rubygems-developers] HEADSUP RubyGems 1.2 Real Soon Now

James Tucker jftucker at gmail.com
Wed Jun 4 13:41:10 EDT 2008

On 4 Jun 2008, at 18:03, Jeremy Kemper wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 3:15 AM, Eric Hodel <drbrain at segment7.net>
> wrote:

>>> I would like the opposite to be the default.
>>
>> I would love to make --format-executable the default, but that will
>> cause
>> too much confusion and will inconvenience the majority too much.
>> (Maybe I
>> shouldn't have made it default for setup.rb/gem update --system,
>> but the two
>> new rubygems/defaults files may help improve that situation.)
>
> The naming changes only when that person has changed his ruby's naming
> also, so it feels natural.
>
> The majority have a vanilla ruby so they'll see no change or
> confusion.

The problem is expectation. People run `ruby foo.rb` and it works, so
they expect `gem ...` to work too. Distros pack in a link which is
what fools people into thinking they're getting it without the suffix.

My solution to this problem is also to keep implementations seperate,
and in that regard, continually having to add extensions to the
commands i use daily, and really mostly messing with tab completion
speed, is a must not. As it is, on most of our platforms I re-link gem
to gem1(\.)?8 as appropriate.

I then switch between 'contents' with a bash function: http://pastie.textmate.org/208786