[Rubygems-developers] HEADSUP RubyGems 1.2 Real Soon Now

Eric Hodel drbrain at segment7.net
Wed Jun 4 06:15:56 EDT 2008

On Jun 4, 2008, at 00:33 AM, Stephen Bannasch wrote:

> At 6:22 PM -0700 6/3/08, Jeremy Kemper wrote:
>> On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 4:36 PM, Eric Hodel <drbrain at segment7.net>
>> wrote:
>>> I believe RubyGems is currently feature-complete for the next
>>> release.  For
>>> the next while I'll be focusing on bugfixes and patches from the
>>> tracker.  I
>>> expect to release a new version in two weeks at minimum, possibly
>>> longer.
>> I'd love to see little-known --format-executable enabled by default
>> for gem installs.
> I would like the opposite to be the default.

I would love to make --format-executable the default, but that will
cause too much confusion and will inconvenience the majority too
much.  (Maybe I shouldn't have made it default for setup.rb/gem update
--system, but the two new rubygems/defaults files may help improve
that situation.)

> -- background on my setup --

> I installed rubinius source into rubinius/code and installed it into
> rubinius/install.
> But since Rubinius doesn't have the equivalent of '-S' I need to
> supply the full path to the gem.rb command.

`rbx gem env` will do what you want.

We have discussed making gem executables accessible via rbx as a
subcommand, `rbx rake`.  We will probably wire this in via the
rubygems/defaults file.