[Rubygems-developers] Help with Gem Dependencies

Bret Pettichord bret at pettichord.com
Tue Jun 3 23:34:06 EDT 2008

I confirmed that your suggestion works as you describe. Thanks.

However, what i want to do is make "gem install watir" work as a
one-step install. With your suggestion it is now a 2-step install.
("gem update --system; gem install watir")

I was hoping that i could just add a dependency on rubygems-update to
the watir gem, but this in itself is not sufficient to fix the
dependency problem -- i need the full gem update --system.

Do you or others know if there is a way to add a dependency on this
("gem update --system') as part of the gem install for Watir (by
changing its gemspec)?

Another option would be for us to move to Ruby 1.8.7. which surely has
other benefits as well.

Bret