[Rubygems-developers] HEADSUP RubyGems 1.2 Real Soon Now

Jeremy Kemper jeremy at bitsweat.net
Tue Jun 3 21:22:33 EDT 2008

On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 4:36 PM, Eric Hodel <drbrain at segment7.net> wrote:
> I believe RubyGems is currently feature-complete for the next release.  For
> the next while I'll be focusing on bugfixes and patches from the tracker.  I
> expect to release a new version in two weeks at minimum, possibly longer.

I'd love to see little-known --format-executable enabled by default
for gem installs.

This gives you bin stubs that match your ruby name, e.g. rake-1.9 for
ruby-1.9 and rake for ruby. Currently, both are installed as rake so
the latest install clobbers the previous one. This is confusing and
aggravating but few are aware that --format-executable solves it.

Changing the default would be a welcome improvement in gem install
experience for those working with multiple rubies and doesn't change
behavior for the 95% who aren't. Plus, the 1.2 release is an
auspicious opportunity to flip the switch just as 1.8.7 is out and
1.9.1 nears release.