[Rubygems-developers] gem file lists

Eric Hodel drbrain at segment7.net
Wed Jul 23 20:51:38 EDT 2008

On Jul 23, 2008, at 03:17 AM, James Tucker wrote:
> Quite some time ago I wrote a blog post about the number of
> temporary strings that are loaded when rubygems starts up. (The
> largest culprit is the file list for the gems).
>
> I've been trying to think how to overcome this for some time,
> without breaking the gems api, but a slightly more lightweight idea
> came to me today, which may be workable prior to an architecture
> change.
>
> Add another field for 'non-runtime files', for covering docs,
> examples, rakefiles, tests, etc.
>
> This would enable gem authors to maintain the ability to scan the
> gemspec for important files (often under lib/), but unimportant
> files would be missed out.
>
> Initial saving on a development machine (averaging what we use in
> the office), would seem to be around 30-40% of the instanced objects
> in a `ruby -rubygems -e ""`
>
> On a related note, I was considering a more architectural changeset
> to gems, which I was going to stab case in a more external 'mini-
> gems' package (may be quite some time away).

I discussed using gem_prelude.rb with Yehuda Katz, and I think
something like a 'rubygems-small.rb' would work:

module Gem; end
require 'gem_prelude'

This uses the gem_prelude.rb that gets compiled into ruby 1.9, and I
think is workable in 1.8 as well.  I've not made any experiments with
it, though.