[Rubygems-developers] Customizing rubygems via #{RUBY_ENGINE}.rb

Vladimir Sizikov vsizikov at gmail.com
Wed Jul 9 06:38:16 EDT 2008

Hi Eric,

Thanks for your support and responses, my comments below.

On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 1:50 AM, Eric Hodel <drbrain at segment7.net> wrote:
> Ok, I added Gem::ConfigFile::OPERATING_SYSTEM_DEFAULTS and
> PLATFORM_DEFAULTS.

And I just integrated that into JRuby.

> Add:
>
> Gem::ConfigFile::PLATFORM_DEFAULTS['install'] = '--env-shebang'
> Gem::ConfigFile::PLATFORM_DEFAULTS['update'] = '--env-shebang'
>
> I think this will work for `gem update`, but I'm not sure.  Can you let me
> know if it doesn't work?

Yes, this works perfectly in both cases (I had to add require
'rubygems/config_file' to JRuby's customization file jruby.rb though,
which seems to be the proper thing).

The only issue with this is that the help output that lists the
default options is not really updated accordingly. So, while we
endable --env-shebang in jruby.rb, users won't see from jruby -S gem
help install, that this option is enabled.

But, all in all, 4 more direct changes of official rubygems sources
are removed, and the only single one remains:

I'll talk about it in a separate email.

Thanks,
  --Vladimir