[Rubygems-developers] Changes in setup.rb related to --destdir

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Sat Jul 5 11:03:33 EDT 2008

Hello everybody,

While working on RubyInstaller project, we found that version 1.2
included a --destdir option during the installation procedure

This new option, introduced several problems during setup for us, that
I and Eric fixed in the repository.

We found in RubyInstaller that using --prefix to install rubygems
outside ruby installation (for packaging process) was not clean
enough. destdir option was more appropriate.

The thing is destdir was not clever enough to detect paths with drive
letters, so we ended with a broken installation attempt.

To workaround this, Gordon Thiesfeld pointed me to the usage of
RbConfig::TOPDIR and leverage in Pathname to compute the path

The following patch fixes the two install_destdir occurrences:

Disregard the FIXME legend since do not apply, mainly because using
Pathname to compute the relative path we solve the drive letters :-)

Since the install_destdir code and functionality resides into
setup.rb, there is no testing mechanism for it.

Can the original author that proposed the destdir functionality review
this patch? I didn't had chance to test it on other platforms besides

Thanks in advance and looking forward for the comments.
Luis Lavena
disinclination to do so.
Douglas Adams