[Rubygems-developers] Customising Rubygems for Debian/Ubuntu.

Eric Hodel drbrain at segment7.net
Tue Jul 1 16:12:14 EDT 2008

On Jul 1, 2008, at 01:14 AM, Neil Wilson wrote:
> 2008/6/30 Eric Hodel <drbrain at segment7.net>:
>> Ok.
>>
>> In r1829 I have added:
>>
>> Gem.pre_install
>> Gem.post_install
>> Gem.pre_uninstall
>> Gem.post_uninstall
>
> Thanks for that Eric. I'll have a play.
>
> Do I define these in the 'operating_system.rb' file, or elsewhere? And
> I presume they act on all gems installed/uninstalled on a system (ie
> the hook isn't specific to a gem and stored in the gem package
> somewhere).

You would define what you need in operating_system.rb.

These hooks are only available for packagers and implementors, gems
themselves cannot define any hooks.

One note I forgot to make was that they are called regardless of
installation path, so if I run `gem install some_gem -i ~/tmp/gems`
you may not want to update alternatives.  (Rubinius will take
advantage of these to compile all the .rb files, for example).

Since I just remembered this, I added #bin_dir and #gem_home to
Installer and Uninstaller so you can determine whether or not to run
update alternatives.