[Rubygems-developers] WARNINGS

Mark Hubbart discordantus at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 20:33:37 EST 2008

On Jan 31, 2008 2:23 PM, Eric Hodel <drbrain at segment7.net> wrote:
> Oops, I only sent this to Trans.
>

> On Jan 30, 2008, at 13:10 PM, Trans wrote:

> >> These warnings where introduced due bad gem specifications.
> >>

> >> Setting the correct values in the gem specification will silent
> >> these warnings.
> >
> > That's not so. The has_rdoc is set to false for a reason.
>
> Then you're a bad person.  Not generating RDoc/ri is hostile to your
> users.

harsh much?

Reasons you might not want to generate RDoc for a particular gem:

- Your interface is already documented. Say you write a lib that
speeds up the use of Ruby's built-in complex class. If there's nothing
but a speed improvement, why re-document the methods?
- There is no interface to document. Perhaps your library does magic
stuff in the background (say, logging performance stats), needing no
method calls whatsoever.
- Your entire interface is dynamic, and has no set method calls. Maybe
you prefer to explain it on a website.
- Some other reason, at the choice of the developer. Complain to them
if they're wrong.

Anyway, if it's always bad to not generate rdoc/ri, they should simply
take the flag out.

> > Plus one might not have a rubyforge project.
>
> There's an "orphans" project on rubyforge for gems that are lacking a
> real project.  If you're building an internal gem, I think you can
> deal with it.

The "real" project could be on sourceforge.org, or code.google.com.
But if a project name is that important, maybe rubygems should insert
the default one (the "orphans" project) whenever none is specified.

Anyway, it seems like these warnings should be given when building the
gem, not while installing it.

– Mark