[Rubygems-developers] Mirror fallbacks (was: rubygems.orgdown ?)

Tom Copeland tom at infoether.com
Mon Jan 28 19:38:20 EST 2008

On Mon, 2008-01-28 at 14:22 -0600, Berger, Daniel wrote:
> > > With Perl's CPAN, for example, you select a bunch of
> > mirrors the first
> > > time you run the CPAN shell. From then on, if there's a problem
> > > downloading from your first selection it defaults to the
> > next mirror,
> > > and so on, until it either succeeds or goes through all of
> > your mirrors.
> > >
> > > Can we do that? If so, how?

Yup.  We'd need to keep a list of the current mirrors on
gems.rubyforge.org/some/uri.  The gem client would need to fetch the
list (maybe caching it locally) and get the gem from a random mirror or
the closest one geographically or whatever.

Of course, this would mean that we wouldn't have accurate stats on
rubyforge.org any more, but, meh.