[Rubygems-developers] Failing gem commands; reinstalling RubyGems

Tobi Reif tobiasreif at pinkjuice.com
Mon Jan 28 08:20:29 EST 2008

On Mon 2008-01-28 Chad Woolley wrote:
> On Jan 22, 2008 4:57 AM, Tobi Reif <tobiasreif at pinkjuice.com> wrote:
> > It seems I need to reinstall RubyGems.
> >
> > What's the cleanest way to uninstall RubyGems?
>
> If you are only interested in getting a working gems install, I would
> download the latest rubygems tar.gz, run setup.rb manually and forget
> about update system via an older 'gem update --system' command.
>
> If you want to know why the 'gem update --system' command is failing
> in rubygems 0.9.4, then try to reproduce the problem with the latest
> (or next-to-latest) rubygems release.  If it is only a bug in the
> older release, which has been fixed in newer releases, there's not
> much to do...

Thanks for your reply Chad.

I agree, it seems I'll have to go the .tgz/setup.rb route. But
before I do that I'd like to uninstall RubyGems completely. What would
be the complete list of dirs and files to delete? (according to how I
had installed RubyGems - see my original post).

RubyGems developers etc, is the following the complete list of
files/dirs to delete?

Files:
/usr/local/bin/gem
/usr/local/bin/gemri
/usr/local/bin/gem_mirror
/usr/local/bin/gem_server
/usr/local/bin/gemwhich
/usr/local/bin/gemlock
/usr/local/bin/update_rubygems
/usr/local/bin/index_gem_repository.rb
/usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/ubygems.rb
/usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb
/usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/gemconfigure.rb

Dirs:
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems
/usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems
/usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/gems
/home/tobi/.gem

Or is there some automated way to uninstall RubyGems?

Tobi