[Rubygems-developers] removing a source

Todd Fisher todd.fisher at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 10:48:00 EST 2008

I'm having trouble removing a specific source within my local gem
repository.  Here's what I did.
gem sources --add http://gems.myinternalhost.com:8808/

Now later I'm in a place where I can no longer access
gems.myinternalhost.com:8808/ or it has gone down.  I'd like to install a
new gem from gems.rubyforge.org.  I can do this but the only way I found was
by adding the --source gems.rubyforge.org, causing the operation to ignore
all other sources.  But what I would really like to do is remove the bad

I've tried this:

rm $GEM_HOME/source_cache
rm -f $GEM_HOME/cache/*

gem sources --remove http://gems.myinternalhost.com:8808/
gem source --remove http://gems.myinternalhost.com:8808/

Here's what I get:

sudo gem source --remove http://gems.myinternalhost.com:8808/
Bulk updating Gem source index for: http://gems.rubyforge.org
ERROR:  While executing gem ... (Gem::RemoteFetcher::FetchError)
    getaddrinfo: No address associated with nodename (SocketError)
        getting size of http://gems.myinternalhost.com:8808/Marshal.4.8

 gem --version

Any ideas?