[Rubygems-developers] Failure to find newly installed gem - fox16

Len Lawrence lcl at tarazed.demon.co.uk
Wed Jan 16 17:44:36 EST 2008

System: x86_64, Mandriva 2008 (supplies 0.9.0, a buggy version of gem)

ruby 1.8.6
RubyGems 1.0.1

I joined this list after trying to sort out a problem with the fxruby
gem.  Lyle Thomson put me on the right track, which allowed me to run a
Fox test program (derived from David Berube).  However there is a
problem with path searching which Lyle thought might be caused by some
kind of confusion in gem regarding the target architecture.  He said
"Take it to the RubyGems developers".

gem install fxruby-1.6.13 places the fox16 files in the /usr/lib64
branch, but:

[lcl at menkalinan fox]$ ruby -e 'puts $:'
/usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8
/usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/x86_64-linux-gnu
/usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby
/usr/lib/ruby/1.8
/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/x86_64-linux-gnu
.

No sign of a gem load path there.  I even tried copying the installed
gem to the /usr/lib branch and again raised an error on the first line
of the program:
  require 'fox16'

"cannot find fox16"

If I use:

ruby -I/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/fxruby-1.6.13/ext/fox16 zeg.rb

the program runs.

That is a bit annoying, even with the use of RUBYOPT, but I can live with
it.  I can't help feeling I am missing something here.  The default load
paths bypass the gems branch altogether.

gem environment gemdir => /usr/lib64/ruby/gems/1.8

If gemdir is added to the search paths ruby still fails to find the
gem.  Only the full path to ext/fox16 will do.  I really do not know
what is going on here and hoped that somebody could shed some light on
a newbie's problems.

Len