[Rubygems-developers] problem packaging rubybgems 1.0.1, install --prefix changed?

Jeremy Hinegardner jeremy at hinegardner.org
Wed Jan 16 15:00:31 EST 2008

Hi all,

I'm packaging rubygems 1.0.1 up as an rpm for our internal server builds
and I'm encountering a problem.  In 0.9.4 the setup.rb was the standard
setup.rb from Minero Aoki and to install into a fake root directory
you would do 'ruby setup.rb install --prefix=$INSTALL_DIR' and
everything would be installed relative to $INSTALL_DIR.  That is, things
would be installed into:

    $INSTALL_DIR/usr/bin
    $INSTALL_DIR/usr/lib/ruby/site_lib/1.8/

Now in 1.0.1 a completely different setup.rb is used with a different
'install --prefix' behavoir.  Without --prefix everything will install
just fine, into a normal system, but not into a system for packaging.
Now if I use --prefix=$INSTALL_DIR I get:

    $INSTALL_DIR/bin
    $INSTALL_DIR/lib

This ends up installing rubygems.rb into $INSTALL_DIR/lib/rubygems.rb
which is definitately not where it needs to go.

So, my question is, what is the proper approach to tell setup.rb to
install relative to a root directory?  That is, what would be the best
way to now package up rubygems for distribution via RPM?

Is this a bug?  Or is this a plan for the future?  Would a patch for
setup.rb for say --installdir be appropriate?  I'll be happy to file
this in the tracker and put together a patch if necessary.

I guess in this case, for now I'll be falling back to 0.9.4 for now
until we can resolve this issue.

enjoy,

-jeremy

 Jeremy Hinegardner                              jeremy at hinegardner.org