[Rubygems-developers] Should binary platform gems be auto-selected before ruby platform on windows?

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Sat Jan 12 08:44:40 EST 2008

On Jan 2, 2008 12:48 AM, Chad Woolley <thewoolleyman at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 1, 2008 7:01 PM, Luis Lavena <luislavena at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Thanks for your testing,
> Thank my test suite for GemInstaller :)  I've spent quite a while
> making it all pass against the latest rubygems, and this was the last
> faiiing test.
> The failing test is "should handle a multiplatform dependency chain"
> in this spec: http://geminstaller.rubyforge.org/svn/trunk/spec/functional/geminstaller_spec.rb
> I've made it pass by disabling the binary platform check on windows +
> RubyGems >= 0.9.4, so it will be easy to see if you fix it by removing
> that condition.

Hello Chad,

I couldn't get enough free time to check this, but done some test with
real life gems.

On a clean installation, I decided to install mongrel_service
(i386-mswin32 platform) which listed as dependency mongrel gem, all
using RubyGems 1.0.1:

*** LOCAL GEMS ***

fxri (0.3.6)
fxruby (1.6.12)
hpricot (0.6)
log4r (1.0.5)
rake (0.8.1)
sources (0.0.1)

>gem install mongrel_service --no-ri --no-rdoc
Bulk updating Gem source index for: http://gems.rubyforge.org
Successfully installed gem_plugin-0.2.3
Successfully installed cgi_multipart_eof_fix-2.5.0
Successfully installed mongrel-1.1.3-x86-mswin32
Successfully installed win32-service-0.5.2-x86-mswin32
Successfully installed mongrel_service-0.3.4-x86-mswin32
5 gems installed

It choosed mongrel i386-mswin32 gem over the ruby one.

Can you still reproduce the problem with 1.0.1 rubygems codebase?

Luis Lavena
Multimedia systems
A common mistake that people make when trying to design
something completely foolproof is to underestimate
the ingenuity of complete fools.
Douglas Adams