[Rubygems-developers] Gem build process for C extension

Jeff Davis ruby at j-davis.com
Mon Jan 7 14:06:47 EST 2008

On Fri, 2008-01-04 at 20:31 -0700, Jeremy Hinegardner wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 04, 2008 at 06:54:15PM -0800, Kevin Clark wrote:
> > > (a) How do I tell rubygems to invoke "rake" rather than "make" during
> > > the build process? I assume I just need to put something in
> > > the .gemspec, but I don't know what.
> >
> > If you have a Rakefile or a mkrf_config in the ext directory, it
> > should use those instead of an extconf.
>
> This only works with rubygems 0.9.5 or higher, before that rubygems did not
> support mkrf extensions.

Thank you for the information.

This puts me in the unfortunate position of requiring recent versions of
rubygems to even build my extension, or dealing with the existing
problems in mkmf.

I don't have the option of an unportable build process, so I suppose
I'll figure something out.

I am seriously considering now using an extconf.rb that uses mkrf, and
then a static Makefile that just calls "rake"... I wonder if that would
work?

Regards,
	Jeff Davis