[Rubygems-developers] Problem with multiplatforms gems when using SourceIndex#search

Chad Woolley thewoolleyman at gmail.com
Sat Jan 5 16:45:03 EST 2008

On Jan 5, 2008 12:01 PM, Chad Woolley <thewoolleyman at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think that you should provide some way to pass a Platform in to
> SourceIndex#search.

After thinking about this some more, I think this would be the best
signature for SourceIndex.search going forward (backward-compatibility

search(gem_pattern, exact_platform_match = false, platform =

This would have the behavior of:
1. returning all platforms by default if only gem_pattern is passed,
2. returning the local platform if gem_pattern and exact_platform_match = true
3. returning the specified platform only if gem_pattern,
exact_platform_match = true, and platform is passed
4. returning all platforms if gem_pattern, exact_platform_match =
false, and platform is passed

#4 is a bit strange, it's identical to #1 and the platform would
essentially be ignored, but I don't think that's a big deal.
Otherwise this approach would be sensible and flexible, and preserve
the existing API.

-- Chad