[Rubygems-developers] Problem with multiplatforms gems when using SourceIndex#search

Chad Woolley thewoolleyman at gmail.com
Sat Jan 5 14:01:51 EST 2008

On Jan 5, 2008 2:24 AM, Eric Hodel <drbrain at segment7.net> wrote:
> I think currently the RubyGems code post-filters.  It was getting late
> in the release when I noticed the problem, so I didn't try to make a
> better API for it.  I'm open to suggestions.

What do you mean 'post-filters'?

I think that you should provide some way to pass a Platform in to
SourceIndex#search.  This could be a third optional parameter, or it
could even be a wrapper method if you are worried about the backward
compatibility of that method.

It seems like it should work the same way that install does when you
pass a platform, which I believe is handled in DependencyInstaller, on
about line 80 of 1.0.1: "Gem::Platform.match spec.platform"

Is this is difficult for some reason?

Thanks,
-- Chad