[Rubygems-developers] Should binary platform gems be auto-selected before ruby platform on windows?

Chad Woolley thewoolleyman at gmail.com
Tue Jan 1 20:17:44 EST 2008

I have some test gems.  There is a dependent gem [1] which depends on
another dependency gem.  The dependency gem has two platforms, one
default ruby [2], and one with a platform of 'mswin32' [3].

When I install the dependent gem [1], it selects the ruby platform
dependency [2] instead of the mswin specific platform dependency [3].

Is this the desired behavior?  I sort of thought that a binary
platform gem should be preferred over a plain-ruby platform, if it
exists.  Don't some multi-platform gems sometimes require compilation
of a 'ruby' platform, but also offer a precompiled binary as well?

-- Chad

[1] http://geminstaller.rubyforge.org/svn/trunk/spec/fixture/gems/specifications/dependent-stubgem-depends-on-multiplatform-1.0.0.gemspec

[2] http://geminstaller.rubyforge.org/svn/trunk/spec/fixture/gems/specifications/stubgem-multiplatform-1.0.1.gemspec

[3] http://geminstaller.rubyforge.org/svn/trunk/spec/fixture/gems/specifications/stubgem-multiplatform-1.0.1-mswin32.gemspec