[Rubygems-developers] Gem is installing ri docs in with core and standard's

Trans transfire at gmail.com
Sun Feb 17 15:17:06 EST 2008

I've managed some clarity with ri today. I hadn't understood before
now exactly where/how the shared ri docs were being stored. But now I
see they are going into wither /usr/share/ri/1.8/system or /usr/share/
ri/1.8/site (your prefix and version may vary). Now that I know this,
two issues become clear.

The first is a general issue: how does ri prevent extension
clobbering? For instance, if a lib overrides a Kernel method and the
ri's are generated and stored in the system dir, how does it not just
kill the original? If that's true I would think the ri docs should be
separated by package names.

Second (and this is why I post here) why is gems installing ri docs to
the system directory? I was wondering why the ri --system flag did not
help me see core/standard ruby only. Now I know. It seems to me gem's
ri docs should have their own location along side system, and site,
namely /usr/sahre/ri/1.8/gem.

T.