[Rubygems-developers] WARNINGS

Eric Hodel drbrain at segment7.net
Sun Feb 3 19:27:02 EST 2008

On Feb 1, 2008, at 05:45 AM, Trans wrote:
> On Feb 1, 5:22 am, Eric Hodel <drbr... at segment7.net> wrote:
>> So you get a warning.
> Is there a means for suppressing the warnings?

Not directly.

> If not could you add one --check $VERBOSE, for instance?

No.  The warnings are a strong suggestion that something could be
improved in your gem.  I'd like to improve the quality of Ruby
software everywhere, and hiding these warnings by default doesn't help
us to do that.

I really don't think it is onerous to fill in an author, email,
homepage, rubyforge_project, summary, and to provide RDoc.  I've
worked on nearly forty gems, and it hasn't been difficult for me.

> Actually, a way to suppress the entire output would be nice. A number
> of people have created secondary tools for generating gems (eg.
> GemPackageTask), it would be nice to have control over the output of
> that process.

You can control output of all of RubyGems (except for deprecations)
via Gem::UserInteraction.