[Rubygems-developers] Fixing a bug that breaks gem installations on Windows

Charlie Savage cfis at savagexi.com
Mon Dec 8 02:20:51 EST 2008

Hi everyone,

A couple of weeks ago I reported a bug that breaks installation of gems
on Windows under certain conditions:

http://rubyforge.org/tracker/?func=detail&aid=23003&group_id=126&atid=577

The fix is an easy 1 line change that is documented in the report.

The problem is that rake_builder.rb does not correctly quote paths,
causing spaces in path names to break gem installations if you use a
Rakefile (versus a extconf.rb for example) to "build and install" a gem
on Windows.

This is a problem because I've settled on the following pattern for
producing windows gems:

* Create an ext/mingw directory that contains build scripts for windows
as well as the resulting binaries (*.so|*.dll)

* Include ext/mingw/*.so|*.dll files into Windows specific gems

* Run a Rafefile that copies <some_gem>/ext/mingw/*.so|*.dll to
<some_gem>/lib

This may or may not be the best way to create a Windows gems, but I've
found it cleaner than other various alternatives I've tried (and I would
be interested in hearing how other people do it).

Anyway, this affects the following gems which I help maintain:

* ruby-prof
* libxml-ruby
* proj4rb
* ruby-pg