[Rubygems-developers] r1841 --destdir behaviour

Richard Brown rbrown at exherbo.org
Mon Aug 18 16:21:40 EDT 2008

Hi, I wrote the initial patch for --destdir support, and I have a
couple of issues with r1841, I did email Luis and say I would have a
look at the end of last month, but I've been a little tied up, sorry.

It uses RbConfig::TOPDIR, which on my x86_64 machine is nil, because
of the way mkconfig generates TOPDIR. (It has a hardcoded 'lib' in it,
my ruby is installed to 'lib64'. It looks like using
RbConfig:CONFIG['prefix'] would be a better choice.

This patch has also changed the behaviour of --destdir, and I'm not
sure if this is intentional or not. My intent in adding --destdir was
to replicate the functionality of

make DESTDIR="/image" install

So setup.rb --destdir="/foo" would install to
"/foo/usr/lib64/ruby/site_ruby/1.8" with this revision it would now be
installed to "/foo/lib64/ruby/site_ruby/1.8", which is incorrect.

Richard Brown

More information about the Rubygems-developers mailing list