[Rubygems-developers] Hook required for update --system

Neil Wilson neil at brightbox.co.uk
Sun Aug 17 18:01:25 EDT 2008

As you know I've been working on some new packaging for Ubuntu using
the new operating_system.rb facilities.

One of the things I want to do is override the 'update --system'
facility so that it calls the native package manager rather than
trying to do it via gems. An update via gems always goes into the
wrong directory, and it would upset the native package manager anyway.

I couldn't see an easy way of changing the facility so I had to patch
the update command so that it simply execs the correct package manager
command.

Would it be possible to factor out the default behaviour of adding
'rubygems-update' to the list of gems to update so that it can be
overridden in 'operating_system.rb'?

--
Neil Wilson