[Rubygems-developers] How to deal with binary dependencies?

Charlie Savage cfis at savagexi.com
Sat Aug 16 16:49:56 EDT 2008

> On Jul 21, 2008, at 12:56 PM, Luis Lavena wrote:
>
>>> Of course, you might not want that to happen on all platforms, but to
>>> solve
>>> that you just provide platform specific gems (which obviously you
>>> have to
>>> anyway if the GEM include binary files).  For a Windows GEM you'd
>>> include
>>> the spec.libraries line, for other platform GEMS you would not.
>>
>> I'll love to heard back from Eric and other RubyGems developers about
>> this.
>
> I think I'd prefer 'shared_libraries' as the name of this thing.  AFAIK,
> only windows has the problem being dealt with in this thread, so we can
> implement whichever solution is best for windows.

Well, it could happen on any platform if you don't the library
installed.  The ifferences are 1) many of these libraries come by
default on Linux but not Windows 2) its easier to install them on Linux,
particularly if there aren't pre-built binaries by the library maintainers.

Anyway, shared_libraries seems like a good name to me.  So the idea
would be:

Add shared_libraries to a specification.  If any are set, make sure they
end up on the execution path by a) copying them to ruby/bin or b)
munging the PATH for the running Ruby program (see previous emails for
more discussion about these two approaches).

If we want to get this done, should be develop a patch for Gems?

Charlie