[Rubygems-developers] Missing require from rubygems/remote_fetcher.rb "stringio"

Vladimir Sizikov vsizikov at gmail.com
Wed Apr 30 04:25:57 EDT 2008

OK, some more info here.

Ola Bini figured out why MRI works and JRuby fails in the first place.
It turned out that yaml library in MRI requires StringIO, while JRuby
didn't. This has been corrected so that JRuby is
"side-effect-compatible" with MRI in that regard, and yaml now also
require's StringIO.

Still, adding explicit require 'stringio' to rubygems sources could be
useful, making the code more robust and less dependent on particular
implementation and side effects.