[Rubygems-developers] env shebang always for JRuby

Vladimir Sizikov vsizikov at gmail.com
Mon Apr 28 12:28:37 EDT 2008

Oh, I misunderstood the email.

Indeed the, there is --env-shebang option, but it's not a default one,
and it does break binaries,
installed under JRuby.

Yes, it would be nice to have a way to make --env-shebang the default
one without patching the rubygems sources.

More below.

On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 4:40 PM, Charles Oliver Nutter
<charles.nutter at sun.com> wrote:
> JRuby ships with its "jruby" command as a shell script or batch file under
> Windows. This means that the default behavior for JRuby installing RubyGems
> is to always use an "env" shebang. However there are two problems with this
> right now:
>
>  - we have to manually patch our copy of RubyGems every time we upgrade, to
> make sure it env-shebangs by default
>  - RubyGems hardcodes the env shebang string to "ruby" rather than using the
> name of the current runtime's command (this may have been fixed?)

I think this was fixed. At least when I try to install, say, rake and
provide --env-shebang option,
I end up with rake script with proper shebang: #!/usr/bin/env jruby

Thanks,
  --Vladimir