[Rubygems-developers] A couple of issues related to JRuby

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Mon Apr 28 07:03:59 EDT 2008

On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 8:54 AM, Vladimir Sizikov <vsizikov at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Luis,
>

>  On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 9:03 PM, Luis Lavena <luislavena at gmail.com> wrote:
>  >  Hello Vladimir, I can take a look at those bug if not special
>  >  requirements are needed to setup JRuby for testing (already have JRE
>  >  installed).
>
>  Thanks for the offer!
>  Yes, typical JRuby install process is straightforward:
>  http://wiki.jruby.org/wiki/Getting_Started
>
>  Just set JAVA_HOME to point to the correct version of Java installed,
>  and put the bin directory of JRuby in your PATH. After that, simlpe
>  'jruby' command would run JRuby. Use jruby -S gem, jruby -S rake,
>  jruby -S rails, etc to run the tools under JRuby.
>
>  I'll be happy to test/verify the changes. If you don't have enough
>  time/resources to handle the fixes, just let me know and I'll try to
>  come up with patches myself.

Ok, got the time, done some checkings.

- RbConfig::CONFIG['host_os']

For several years depending on RUBY_PLATFORM to determine the OS that
host your ruby interpreter was the defacto. Adding host_os to the
Gem.win_platform? will only tackle Gem and projects that:

Directly depend on RubyGems presence to be installed (forget about
package manager using plain setup.rb).

- jruby.bat.exe and the lack of .bat for the generated gems.

This is not complicated to fix, as you stated, but the batch files
generated by RubyGems right now are win32 specific.

I can review the patch If you provide the stub content that need to be
written, based on code it currently generates the stub scripts.

Since these scripts depend on win_platform? being true, we the first
item must be solved before continue.

Regards,
--
Luis Lavena