[Rubygems-developers] Problem trying to uninstall an old gem

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Fri Apr 25 16:58:13 EDT 2008

On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 5:17 PM, Chad Woolley <thewoolleyman at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 11:20 AM, Berger, Daniel
> <Daniel.Berger at qwest.com> wrote:
> >  I guess it's getting confused by the lack of the '-60' on the platform.
>  Yeah, I think there are still a few edge cases in various commands
>  where platform matching isn't working completely right, especially if
>  you have installed gems that are not meant for the current platform.

Ok, I got it, still need to create a patch.

The error can be traced down to lib/rubygems/uninstaller.rb:178..182:

  def path_ok?(spec)
    match_path = File.join @gem_home, 'gems', spec.full_name

    match_path == spec.full_gem_path

A pre-1.0 gem (mongrel 1.1.1) is trying to match spec.full_name to

spec.full_name => mongrel-1.1.1-x86-mswin32
spec.full_gem_path => {...} mongrel-1.1.1-mswin32

(I'm suppressing all the path there just to show the difference)

In this case, match_path will never match the full_gem_path.

>  If you have a reproducible case against 1.1.1, you should open a bug
>  with details.

Need to create a test case to reproduce this... couldn't locate a test
where I can hook up and duplicate our situation... never got used to
test/unit :-P

Luis Lavena
Multimedia systems
disinclination to do so.