[Rubygems-developers] Problem trying to uninstall an old gem

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Fri Apr 25 15:05:22 EDT 2008

On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 3:20 PM, Berger, Daniel <Daniel.Berger at qwest.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  I can't seem to get rid of an old pre-rubygems 1.0 sys-uname gem:
>
>  gem env
>
>  RubyGems Environment:
>   - RUBYGEMS VERSION: 1.1.1
>   - RUBY VERSION: 1.8.6 (2007-09-24 patchlevel 111) [i386-mswin32]
>   - INSTALLATION DIRECTORY: c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8
>   - RUBY EXECUTABLE: c:/ruby/bin/ruby.exe
>   - RUBYGEMS PLATFORMS:
>     - ruby
>     - x86-mswin32-60
>   - GEM PATHS:
>      - c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8
>   - GEM CONFIGURATION:
>      - :update_sources => true
>      - :verbose => true
>      - :benchmark => false
>      - :backtrace => false
>      - :bulk_threshold => 1000
>   - REMOTE SOURCES:
>      - http://gems.rubyforge.org
>
>  C:\>gem uninstall sys-uname
>
>  Select gem to uninstall:
>   1. sys-uname-0.8.1-x86-mswin32
>   2. sys-uname-0.8.3
>   3. All versions
>  > 1
>  INFO:  In order to remove sys-uname, please execute:
>         gem uninstall sys-uname --install-dir=c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8
>
>  C:\>gem uninstall sys-uname --install-dir=c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8
>
>  Select gem to uninstall:
>   1. sys-uname-0.8.1-x86-mswin32
>   2. sys-uname-0.8.3
>   3. All versions
>  > 1
>  INFO:  In order to remove sys-uname, please execute:
>         gem uninstall sys-uname --install-dir=c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8
>
>  I guess it's getting confused by the lack of the '-60' on the platform.

This is similar to what Chad Wolley reported a few weeks back:

http://rubyforge.org/pipermail/rubygems-developers/2008-April/003738.html

Cannot check the code right now, but those gems were installed
pre-0.9.5, so the platform is i386-mswin32 or mswin32 instead of the
'x86-mswin32' it is reporting.

can you test if requiring that specific gem actually works? just to
pinpoint if is only uninstaller that get's confused or is rubygems
itself.

>  Regards,

Thank you Dan,
--