[Rubygems-developers] Reduce the gap between posix and Windows

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Fri Apr 25 08:13:08 EDT 2008

On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 9:02 AM, Vladimir Sizikov <vsizikov at gmail.com> wrote:

>  > `gem install rake` will generate only `rake.bat` instead of `rake` and
>  > `rake.bat`
>
>  This makes me uneasy a bit. I like the fact that on both Unix-like and
>  Windows platforms I have the same scripts (like rake, rails, gem) and
>  they are identical on both platforms, and easy to use with jruby -S
>  cmd
>  (they don't even need to executable, since Ruby would just run them as
>  scripts).
>
>  Removing the files with no extensions and leaving only bat files will
>  break both ruby -S and jruby -S.

I understand your worry on this topic. but the actual problem was
dln_find_exe (dln.c) of current MRI.

It consider extensionless files (rake ruby script) before batch stub
(rake.bat) and when tried to use cmd.exe to run it, failed.

Nobu committed a fix for this into 1.8 yesterday and I tested it: work
out of the box without worrying about adding '.bat' to rubygems
scripts.

>  Thanks,
>   --Vladimir

Thanks to you and James for your feedback,
--
Luis Lavena
Multimedia systems