[Rubygems-developers] Reduce the gap between posix and Windows

Vladimir Sizikov vsizikov at gmail.com
Fri Apr 25 08:02:52 EDT 2008

Hi Luis, Eric,

My original email seems to be lost (I sent it before subscribing to
the list),
so I'll just quickly repeat it (those parts that I remember :) )

On Apr 23, 5:52 am, "Luis Lavena" <luislav... at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 8:51 PM, Eric Hodel <drbr... at segment7.net> wrote:
> > On Apr 22, 2008, at 13:51 PM, Luis Lavena wrote:
> >  Does this mean `gem install rake` would only produce a `rake.bat`
> >  instead of both `rake` and `rake.bat`?
>
> >  Or `gem install tinderbox` (which has two executables) would have a
> >  `tinderbox.bat` that could invoke either executables via a subcommand?
>
> >  (Would it be beneficial to add something like `gem execute rake` that
> >  would run the rake executable?)

Hmm, would things like ruby -S or jruby -S work for that purpose?

> `gem install rake` will generate only `rake.bat` instead of `rake` and
> `rake.bat`

This makes me uneasy a bit. I like the fact that on both Unix-like and
Windows platforms I have the same scripts (like rake, rails, gem) and
they are identical on both platforms, and easy to use with jruby -S
cmd
(they don't even need to executable, since Ruby would just run them as
scripts).

Removing the files with no extensions and leaving only bat files will
break both ruby -S and jruby -S.

Thanks,
  --Vladimir