[Rubygems-developers] Reduce the gap between posix and Windows

James Tucker jftucker at gmail.com
Fri Apr 25 07:58:16 EDT 2008

On 23 Apr 2008, at 16:44, Luis Lavena wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 12:52 AM, Luis Lavena <luislavena at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> ruby-core and ruby developers. It will require change the way
>> dln_find_1 (dln.c:1690) since is the responsible to look for rake.*
>> and prioritize rake (extensionless) over rake.bat.
>> The problem is around lines is the execution workflow, when asked for
>> 'rake' it will find it at line 1785 and return it at that time, since
>> eaccess(fbuf, X_OK) will always return 0 on windows (there is no way
>> to know if a file is executable or not.
>> The actual check for the execution flag is actually processed
>> starting
>> at 1802, but we never get there unless there is no file 'rake'
>> (extensionless).
>> What do you think will be best? fix the ruby behavior? or change how
>> rubygems create stuff.
>> I see quite difficult some of these changes get approved and
>> included,
>> since I don't get a lot of positive reactions to my comments on
>> ruby-core (you can say I can be just a pain in the butt).
> A better look at this make me think is better send this to ruby-core
> and get this fixed instead. What current Ruby is doing doesn't work as
> expected, at least not in Windows.
> I'll try create a small example and provide a patch to ruby-core.

assoc .=MaybeExecutable
ftype MaybeExecutable=c:\ruby\bin\ruby c:\pretend_posix\bin\execve %0 %*

Or something like that. N.B. I got most of the way to the above
working, and hit some problems (I was working off a network drive at
the time, YMMV with more local drives, hopefully, the solution can

Also, git solved this problem by implementing some compatibility

And the details of the Windows rules, at least CMD rules for launching
apps are in some more detail here: