[Rubygems-developers] Reduce the gap between posix and Windows

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Wed Apr 23 11:44:18 EDT 2008

On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 12:52 AM, Luis Lavena <luislavena at gmail.com> wrote:

>  ruby-core and ruby developers. It will require change the way
>  dln_find_1 (dln.c:1690) since is the responsible to look for rake.*
>  and prioritize rake (extensionless) over rake.bat.
>
>  The problem is around lines is the execution workflow, when asked for
>  'rake' it will find it at line 1785 and return it at that time, since
>  eaccess(fbuf, X_OK) will always return 0 on windows (there is no way
>  to know if a file is executable or not.
>
>  The actual check for the execution flag is actually processed starting
>  at 1802, but we never get there unless there is no file 'rake'
>  (extensionless).
>
>  What do you think will be best? fix the ruby behavior? or change how
>  rubygems create stuff.
>
>  I see quite difficult some of these changes get approved and included,
>  since I don't get a lot of positive reactions to my comments on
>  ruby-core (you can say I can be just a pain in the butt).

A better look at this make me think is better send this to ruby-core
and get this fixed instead. What current Ruby is doing doesn't work as
expected, at least not in Windows.

I'll try create a small example and provide a patch to ruby-core.

Thank you again for your time.

--
Luis Lavena
Multimedia systems