[Rubygems-developers] Gem autoloading problems

Eric Hodel drbrain at segment7.net
Fri Apr 18 04:01:01 EDT 2008

On Apr 17, 2008, at 22:38 PM, Chad Woolley wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 8:23 PM, Eric Hodel <drbrain at segment7.net>
> wrote:
>> A user of RubyGems can already control which gem gets activated with
>> Kernel#gem.  However, it is up to the user to activate the gems they
>> need in dependency order.  `gem lock` can help with this.
> Try GemInstaller.  It should be able to provide all the control you
> need over gem activation, and autoinstall all required versions as
> well.  If you can't make it do what you need, let me know.

This problem is, given a-1, a-2, and b-1 which depends on any a:

gem 'b'

fork {
   gem 'a', '1' # raises as a-2 is active

The solutions I see are:

Don't list 'a' as a dependency.

exec after fork to clear memory.

Be careful not to require any files from 'a' and remove 'a' from the
set of active gems.  (Hard)