[Rubygems-developers] Questions on 1.0.0 on JRuby

Charles Oliver Nutter charles.nutter at sun.com
Fri Apr 11 15:42:50 EDT 2008

Charles Oliver Nutter wrote:
> As a representative of the JRuby implementers, *I do not want it to be
> 'jgem'*. Please change it back to 'gem' for JRuby installs.

Hey, we've been discussing on the JRuby IRC channel a bit and I think
there's a compromise we could reach here.

Our issue is that we want "gem" to work to install gems as it always has.

The 'jgem' fix is designed to provide a specific name for JRuby (and
other names for other impls) to allow you to know which impl you're
installing gems against.

When RubyGems updates now, the problem is that it both installs a 'jgem'
script and recommends that the 'gem' script be removed. That violates
our desire to have 'gem' always work, but it's not directly because of
'jgem' existing.

So one possible solution seems to be for us to make our 'gem' script
just point at/invoke 'jgem', and for rubygems to not recommend removing
the 'gem' script. Then we can have our 'gem' script forever, RubyGems
updating 'jgem' will still work correctly, and people that want to use
'jgem' can still do so.

Action items:

JRuby: make 'gem' script just invoke 'jgem' script
RubyGems: disable the recommendation to delete the 'gem' script

- Charlie