[Rubygems-developers] Questions on 1.0.0 on JRuby

Charles Oliver Nutter charles.nutter at sun.com
Fri Apr 11 15:03:08 EDT 2008

Luis Lavena wrote:
> PS: bikeshed?

I'm getting really tired of people calling bikeshed on discussions just
because there's a difference of opinion not getting resolved. It is NOT
a bikeshed for us to want "jgem" changed back to "gem" since it directly
affects JRuby users and we never asked for it to happen. We've run and
shipped RubyGems with JRuby for two years, always with the 'gem' command.

The 'jgem' command name causes the following problems:

- If people install RubyGems manually into JRuby, walkthroughs,
tutorials, and scripts that expect the 'gem' command to exist will fail
to work.
- If people update JRuby, they'll have an old 'gem' command (the one we
ship) alongside the newer 'jgem' command (installed by RubyGems).

It should be changed back to 'gem' and if there are discussions to be
had about how to avoid collisions or about how to share gem stores then
those discussions should include the implementers, rather than being
done in a vacuum and forced upon them.

As a representative of the JRuby implementers, *I do not want it to be
'jgem'*. Please change it back to 'gem' for JRuby installs.

- Charlie