[Rubygems-developers] improved find_all_gem_commands.rb

Stephen Bannasch stephen.bannasch at deanbrook.org
Wed Apr 9 23:49:34 EDT 2008

>On Apr 7, 2008, at 21:04 , Stephen Bannasch wrote:
>> improved, see: http://pastie.org/176659
>
>I'm confused... improved upon what?

On the previous example I posted previously. See this posting in the middle of a long meandering thread:

http://rubyforge.org/pipermail/rubygems-developers/2008-April/003697.html

This code is not useful by itself. It is possible it could be useful as part of a larger effort for rubygems to help users deal better with the issues of local gem repositories when used with multiple ruby VMs.

Instead of spending the time writing a paragraph about what could be done I wrote a paragraph of code to share the idea.

At least for the near-term future when alternate ruby VMs are installed (ruby1.9, jruby, rubinuis) they should have separate local gem repositories lib and binary paths.

However currently the installation mechanisms for the alternate ruby VMs don't make this a simple or obvious choice. Users who are not careful can screw up their local gem repositories by installing a Gem that tries and fails to install a native C librarie when they are running JRuby. When users start getting into this kind of trouble the data produced by this method 'could' be useful to warn someone -- but I haven't thought the rest of this through yet.