[Rubygems-developers] Questions on 1.0.0 on JRuby

Stephen Bannasch stephen.bannasch at deanbrook.org
Tue Apr 8 22:55:46 EDT 2008

At 6:46 PM -0300 4/8/08, Luis Lavena wrote:
>On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 6:36 PM, Jim Weirich <jim.weirich at gmail.com> wrote:
>>  Or Rubinius ... the jxxx naming convention is a stop-gap measure at
>>  best.
>jruby -S gem install bikeshed
>For those who didn't noticed: the command line explicitly tell you:
>dude, you're using jruby here, ok?

While this thread started about renaming gem to jgem for jruby it quickly became a more general thread on whether it makes sense to rename gem at all and whether local gem repositories can be or even should be shared.

I assumed Jim was referring more generally to the renaming of the installed gem based on the name of the installed ruby

For example here's some of the possible new names for 'gem':

%w{ruby jruby rubinius rbx ruby1.9 ironruby}.collect {|ruby_name| Gem::ConfigMap[:RUBY_INSTALL_NAME]=ruby_name; Gem.default_exec_format % "gem"}

=> ["gem", "jgem", "rubinius", "rbx", "gem1.9", "irongem"]

see: defaults.rb:

# Deduce Ruby's --program-prefix and --program-suffix from its install name.
def self.default_exec_format
  baseruby = ConfigMap[:BASERUBY] || 'ruby'
  ConfigMap[:RUBY_INSTALL_NAME].sub(baseruby, '%s') rescue '%s'