[Rubygems-developers] Questions on 1.0.0 on JRuby

Charles Oliver Nutter charles.nutter at sun.com
Mon Apr 7 22:24:59 EDT 2008

Chad Woolley wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 5:13 PM, Charles Oliver Nutter
> <charles.nutter at sun.com> wrote:
>> Eric Hodel wrote:
>>  > I'm willing to change the default in a future minor release (not
>>  > 1.1.1), but primarily I think the problem is going to be user education.
>>
>>  Why not 1.1.1? This isn't a lot of effort, is it?
>
> 1.1.1 is already essentially frozen, and there are some caching bugs
> in 1.1.0 that need to get fixed.  I'd rather not delay.
>
>>  > Is there any particular reason why JRuby and Ruby can't use the same
>>  > gem repository?  (Currently Rubinius does not, but after reading this
>>  > thread, I think that may be a mistake).
>>
>>  No particular reason...it works, we just don't really recommend it. If
>>  the automatic platform-gem-picking works seamlessly, it could certainly
>>  be just fine...but I haven't had much chance to play with that
>>  (especially installing the same gems into the same repository with the
>>  same index and RubyGems knowing to install two different platform
>>  versions of the same gem).
>
> I'm not really famialiar with these Jruby issues, but from a high
> level the single repository definitely seems like the proper solution.
>  These are all essentially just different platforms, but they are all
> RubyGems.  It is better to hide the complexity in the
> platform-handling code of rubygems rather than expose the user to
> confusing (and seemingly unresolvable?) issues with different
> executables.  Less fragmentation in the standard ruby package
> management tools and repositories is a Good Thing for the Ruby
> community as a whole.

I agree it would be useful, but I think it's just as useful to have it
be separate. After all, it seems a little wierd to have JRuby hooked up
to a repository that might contain gems it can't run and for which
there's no equivalent port. But perhaps that's just me...I like to only
have the gems installed I'm using, and frequently have a couple
different JRuby instances to use for different purposes. But then again,
I'm doing lots of demos and active JRuby dev...so there's a lot of churn.

At any rate, it ought to work fine, but the jgem thing seems to me
totally unrelated. gem install should be gem install, whether on JRuby
or MatzRuby.

- Charlie