[Rubygems-developers] Questions on 1.0.0 on JRuby

Chad Woolley thewoolleyman at gmail.com
Mon Apr 7 21:14:50 EDT 2008

On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 5:13 PM, Charles Oliver Nutter
<charles.nutter at sun.com> wrote:
> Eric Hodel wrote:
>  > I'm willing to change the default in a future minor release (not
>  > 1.1.1), but primarily I think the problem is going to be user education.
>  Why not 1.1.1? This isn't a lot of effort, is it?

1.1.1 is already essentially frozen, and there are some caching bugs
in 1.1.0 that need to get fixed.  I'd rather not delay.

>  > Is there any particular reason why JRuby and Ruby can't use the same
>  > gem repository?  (Currently Rubinius does not, but after reading this
>  > thread, I think that may be a mistake).
>  No particular reason...it works, we just don't really recommend it. If
>  the automatic platform-gem-picking works seamlessly, it could certainly
>  be just fine...but I haven't had much chance to play with that
>  (especially installing the same gems into the same repository with the
>  same index and RubyGems knowing to install two different platform
>  versions of the same gem).

I'm not really famialiar with these Jruby issues, but from a high
level the single repository definitely seems like the proper solution.
 These are all essentially just different platforms, but they are all
RubyGems.  It is better to hide the complexity in the
platform-handling code of rubygems rather than expose the user to
confusing (and seemingly unresolvable?) issues with different
executables.  Less fragmentation in the standard ruby package
management tools and repositories is a Good Thing for the Ruby
community as a whole.

As for multiple platform support in RubyGems, I think that is fairly
solid already, and any bugs or deficiencies that are found can be
fixed.  I just fixed a bug yesterday in this area, which allows
multiplatform mswin-platform and compiled ruby gems of the same
version and name to be repeatedly installed and uninstalled on OSx as
part of my test suite.  I also have pretty thorough functional tests
in GemInstaller (ci.thewoolleyweb.com) which exercise RubyGems'
ability to handle multi-level, multiplatform dependency chains of
gems, and they all pass on Linux, Mac, and Windows.

-- Chad W.