[Rubygems-developers] Questions on 1.0.0 on JRuby

Charles Oliver Nutter charles.nutter at sun.com
Mon Apr 7 20:13:26 EDT 2008

Eric Hodel wrote:
> I'm willing to change the default in a future minor release (not
> 1.1.1), but primarily I think the problem is going to be user education.

Why not 1.1.1? This isn't a lot of effort, is it? And we're already
modifying our built-in install of RubyGems to use 'gem', so it's
actually the jgem that's confusing people. I think this should go out in

> Is there any particular reason why JRuby and Ruby can't use the same
> gem repository?  (Currently Rubinius does not, but after reading this
> thread, I think that may be a mistake).

No particular reason...it works, we just don't really recommend it. If
the automatic platform-gem-picking works seamlessly, it could certainly
be just fine...but I haven't had much chance to play with that
(especially installing the same gems into the same repository with the
same index and RubyGems knowing to install two different platform
versions of the same gem).

It's also fairly common for people to have multiple JRuby copies around,
and pretty easy to do so. So keeping the gems within the JRuby subdirs
is more convenient for isolating them. But like I say, sharing a gem
repo may work just fine...we don't do anything that would prevent it.

- Charlie